Add many students
We offer a few methods to easily add a larger population of students to your account. You can use our Google Classroom integration, class codes, or one of our import tools.
Rostering from Google Classroom will both create your student accounts and roster your classes in one easy step.
- Go to Classes.
- Click Google Classroom.
- Click Get Started and log in to your Google account.
- Click the Import button for each class you'd like to import.
Class codes allow your students to both join your account and/or enroll in a class.
- Go to Classes and choose the class you want students to be able to join.
- Under Class Code, click the link that reads Enable Class Code.
- Follow the prompts on the screen, generate a code, and share the class code or the URL with students.
The Import/Update tool
Best for small accounts with a few classes, rosters must be uploaded individually for each class. Download a CSV template file here: Add Many Students Wizard CSV template file.
- Go to Students.
- Click Add Student and then Import/Update Students.
- Open the tool and review instructions on how to format a CSV file containing your students' names and some identifying information. The following are the required fields for your preferred login setup:
Google SSO: first name, email
Microsoft 365 SSO: first name, email
Username/Password: first name, username, password
- Click Choose File and upload your CSV file.
- Click Next to preview your roster.
- If you are a district administrator and you have added schools to your account, you can choose a school for the students here.
- Click Finalize Import. You will now see all of the students from your CSV file appear under the Students tab.
- Recommended: If you have imported a single class, you may enroll all students in a class you have already created. Although students can be enrolled in classes later, we recommend enrolling them right away so that they can log in and get to work.
Data Import Tool
Best for large accounts and districts, student IDs and class IDs are required for a successful upload of all students at once. Download a CSV template file here: Student CSV template file.
Go to Tools Data Import Tool. Underneath the basic information on the tool itself, you can find a link titled Students. Clicking this link will give you information for the required fields in the students.csv file. Let's take a look at the fields required for a successful upload:
- student-id: your internal ID, no special form is required
- class-id: required if you want to automatically enroll students in their respective classes. Make sure that class IDs have been properly assigned.
- school-id: required only if you have more than one school
- first name: students' first names
- username or email: if students log in with a single sign-on, email must be entered. If no email address is provided, please add a username and password.
- last name: students' last names
- password: if students log in with a single sign-on, they will log in with their secure password (TypingClub doesn't store them). To log in with username/password, please add a password.
- grade: including a grade will help you more easily sort through your classes in the future
- action: use the word "update" for all rows in your spreadsheet to add or update student information, or the word "delete" to remove it.
Once you have created your CSV file, make sure to save it, return to the Data Import Tool page, and upload the file. Uploading may take a couple of minutes depending on the size of the file. Check the Students tab to make sure that students from your spreadsheet have populated in your account, and the Classes tab to verify that students are properly enrolled in their respective classes.
For more details on the Data Import Tool, file setup, and required vs. optional fields, please refer to the Data Import Tool Process PDF.
We also offer integration with Clever and ClassLink to Pro Edition accounts with a purchase of at least 200+ licenses/year. For more on these options, please contact us at [email protected] or at 202-609-9919.